...

Wednesday 30 July 2014

Healthy sweetcorn fritters - starter, side or main dish!


SO! My partner was serving up pork chops for dinner, so I was in charge of making a 'side' (and my own main meal as I don't eat meat myself)! I saw something similar to these in a cook book as a starter, and I think they'd make a great starter perhaps as smaller bite-size fritters with a sour cream and chive dip! But for now, they were just a side dish - but they were great! I actually had about 4 or 5 (I lost count) of these as my main meal with some salad and they're super filling so don't be put off of having them on their own. So here's how to make 8 fritters (to make 16 just double this recipe - I've actually halved this recipe for you as I made 16 myself)!

Cooking and preparation time: 20 minutes (+8 if you double recipe)

You will need:
  • 100g of plain flower
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking power
  • 1 small red onions
  • 250g drained sweetcorn
  • 1 medium egg
  • 7 tablespoons of milk
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • A handful of spinach leaves
  • Light butter

Steps:
  1. Cut the onion into small 1cm squares as best as possible and leave aside.
  2. Weight out 100g of flour and place into a large mixing bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder and mix well.
  3. Crack an egg into the bowl and add 7 tablespoons of milk and a tablespoon of olive oil and mix well until the mixture is a completely smooth paste.
  4. Add the chopped onion, sweetcorn and spinach leaves as well as any herbs that you desire and mix thoroughly.
  5. Place a pan on the hob and heat the pan for 1 minute and then add a knob of light butter and wait until it has melted.
  6. Then add a tablespoon of the mixture to the pan to form the fritter. Ensure that the fritters are quite thin as mine are, otherwise the inside will remain uncooked. Add about four lots to the pan ensuring that they don't overlap. Use a spatula to press the top down occasionally. Flip the fritters regularly. You should need to cook them for around 1-3 minutes. 
  7. Add another knob of butter and fry the next batch in the same way until all of the fritters are cooked.
  8. Season to taste, serve up and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe and don't forget to leave your comments below! :-)

No comments :

Post a Comment

I LOVE reading your comments!

You may also like